Stay on the leading edge of tech and the digital landscape
Active Generations’ Computer Technology Center provides computer instruction classes to our members, with a variety of topics that change month to month. We follow the philosophy of older adults teaching older adults and boast great student/teacher ratios of 2 to 1.
Important things to know:
- Classes ONLY on the Windows 10 operating system. If you have an older computer with XP, Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, personal tutoring or buddy training (with a friend) is available through our tutoring system. Information regarding tutoring can be found below. Please pick up a registration form at the Information Window to sign up for this service.
- Individuals with no typing skills are encouraged to practice independently at home by creating an account at www.goodtyping.com prior to taking a class.
- During class, all students will use the classroom desktop computers; laptops are discouraged. You may bring a laptop to ask questions during the break.
Computer Class Schedule:
Class Registration Policy:
A minimum of four students is needed to hold classes. It is up to the discretion of each instructor whether a class will be held with fewer students. That decision will be made three to seven days prior to the start of each class. We require either a check or cash payment at the time of registration for computer classes so registration needs to be completed in person at the information window.
The day prior to its start date, students should call and confirm that their class will take place.
If you find you cannot take a class you have registered and paid for due to a conflict in your schedule or personal situation, you must cancel at least seven days prior to the class start date. You will be given a full refund in this instance. If you cancel out of a class in fewer than seven days prior to the class start date, the class fee is non-refundable.
This program is designed to give you private in-depth instruction geared toward specific computer topics of your choosing. You tell us what you want to learn, and we provide the tutor!
After filling out the registration form (available at the Information Window), Active Generations’ staff will work to find a tutor to fit your request. Once this tutor is found, they will contact you directly to arrange a meeting time at Active Generations either in the computer classroom or lab.
*NOTE: Volunteers can NOT do home visits and this service is only for software training, not home computer hardware / software issues.
The cost for this program is $20 member / $25 non-member for the first hour and $15 member / $20 non-member for each subsequent hour or portion thereof spent working on the subject outlined in the registration form.
At times, it may be necessary to schedule additional tutoring hours on another day. If so, these additional hours will be charged at the $15/$20 subsequent hourly rate, but must be scheduled with the tutor before leaving your first (current) session.
Tips on how to describe your personal tutoring needs:
- List the name of the software you need assistance with learning. Example: Microsoft Word, Outlook, Facebook, etc.
- Describe in detail what you want to accomplish. Example: I want to scan my old photos and save them as files on my computer. ~ or ~ I want to know how to create a text document that is set up in columns like a newspaper.
- If you aren’t sure about what program will fit your needs, check with the Information Window staff. Arrangements can be made for a tutor to contact you to help you complete the registration form and find a program/tutor that will be the best fit.